Greetings! Did you know there are several innovative ways to create your own headboard on a low cost budget? You can incorporate your own personal creativity into it and make it your own while saving money. Everyone knows their taste the best, so why not frame your bed the way you envision it! I’ve put together a few tips and tricks that I’ve discovered work the best when fashioning your own headboard:
- Paint a headboard right onto the wall: It’s a French technique called Trompe-l'oeil, which translated means “deceiving the eye”. It’s like you’re painting an illusion behind your bed – whether it be windows, a scenic view, or just the look of a headboard itself!
- Attach a curtain rod a few feet above the end of your bed onto the wall and then hang a curtain from it. You can add some trim or trinkets to the edges of the curtain to decorate and amp it up.
- Buy a piece of foam and cut it to the size of your bed. Glue a fabric of your choice onto the foam so it transforms into the look of a fabric headboard. You can even make it look tufted by putting nails into the foam evenly spaced, and where the nail indents into the foam, glue or sew a little button on top to cover it up and add another element of ornamentation to the headboard.
- Use a piece of plywood cut to your desired shape and cover it with pretty wallpaper that matches the rest of your décor!
- Create a crown using any found materials, attach a curtain to the crown and hang it several feet above the end of your bed, or even attach to your ceiling for the appearance of a canopy bed.
Now, you may construct your headboard but wonder how do I even attach it to the wall? Usually a typical headboard is screwed onto the bed frame, but you can use glue (like liquid nails project glue), double sided tape, or Velcro to hang your DIY headboard! Otherwise, find very thin nails and nail them right in (make sure they are so thin you can’t see them) and boom! You’ve got yourself a homemade headboard using your very own hands and creativity.